Hello again and I just found this as a draft, so am sending it. Sorry if I repeat myself. Lucky you: 2 blogs in one day but still no photos!
You will recall I told you last time I have a housekeeper. Her name is Joyce, she is the same age as my eldest daughter, has 3 daughters of her own (like me) and her husband has disappeared. When I met her at the tea plantation house where I spent my first few nights after coming up north from Lilongwe, she would arrive about 6.30am, leave again at lunch time to look after her children, walk back to the house in the afternoon and then stay until it was dark - about 6 or so in the evening. Each trip took her one hour, so four hours walking to and from work. She doesn't do such long hours now: she arrives before 7am usually and leaves about 2pm, 6 days a week. She cleans my room, makes my bed (she does not approve at all of how I do it), washes my clothes, cooks my lunch and washes up and whatever else she can find to do. She does all this for about 10 GBP per week. I know there are millions of Joyces all over the world. But this is the one who concerns me.
This weekend - still awake very early, pottered around in the morning, eat my starch at lunch time but stayed awake for the afternoon, amazingly. Luckness, Anna (dep. head) and I went to the computer room (new additon to the school) and did some things there. Sat outside on a glorious day: it had rained and rained on Friday, but Sat was wonderful. In the evening I made myself a salad (see comments about starch - need to take charge of my own food once or twice a week at least) to Luckness' amazement, She thinks my tastes very odd. Anna and her children came round to watch Pirates of the Caribbean - the curse of the black pearl on a laptop in Luckness' sitting room. I've seen it about 2000 times so I just set it up and retired to my room. I heard lots of laughing - some of these children have never seen a traffic light, so the magic was extraordinary for them. And awake again at 4.30 on a Sunday morning, with not even 'The Archers' to listen to.
Love
Anne
You will recall I told you last time I have a housekeeper. Her name is Joyce, she is the same age as my eldest daughter, has 3 daughters of her own (like me) and her husband has disappeared. When I met her at the tea plantation house where I spent my first few nights after coming up north from Lilongwe, she would arrive about 6.30am, leave again at lunch time to look after her children, walk back to the house in the afternoon and then stay until it was dark - about 6 or so in the evening. Each trip took her one hour, so four hours walking to and from work. She doesn't do such long hours now: she arrives before 7am usually and leaves about 2pm, 6 days a week. She cleans my room, makes my bed (she does not approve at all of how I do it), washes my clothes, cooks my lunch and washes up and whatever else she can find to do. She does all this for about 10 GBP per week. I know there are millions of Joyces all over the world. But this is the one who concerns me.
This weekend - still awake very early, pottered around in the morning, eat my starch at lunch time but stayed awake for the afternoon, amazingly. Luckness, Anna (dep. head) and I went to the computer room (new additon to the school) and did some things there. Sat outside on a glorious day: it had rained and rained on Friday, but Sat was wonderful. In the evening I made myself a salad (see comments about starch - need to take charge of my own food once or twice a week at least) to Luckness' amazement, She thinks my tastes very odd. Anna and her children came round to watch Pirates of the Caribbean - the curse of the black pearl on a laptop in Luckness' sitting room. I've seen it about 2000 times so I just set it up and retired to my room. I heard lots of laughing - some of these children have never seen a traffic light, so the magic was extraordinary for them. And awake again at 4.30 on a Sunday morning, with not even 'The Archers' to listen to.
Love
Anne
No comments:
Post a Comment